Triglavska Roža Information Centre is the main administrative centre of Triglav National Park Public Institute which manages Triglav National Park (TNP), the only national park in Slovenia. The centre provides visitors with basic information on the national park, its natural assets, and cultural heritage. It has an auditorium for approximately 100 people for lectures, conferences, concerts, and plays. Occasionally art and natural history exhibitions are organised in the premises. In the square in front of the centre the Triglav Market of organic produce grown on the farms from the Triglav National Park and its surroundings is often organised, products can be also bought in souvenir shop in the centre. An interactive multimedia presentation of a flight over the TNP can be individually experienced. Every second Wednesday of the month a photo exhibition takes place.
Although theatre was active in the town of Jesenice from as early as 1895, the Tone Čufar Theatre, Jesenice was not established until 1945. Today Tone Čufar Theatre produces its own shows (around 3 for adults and 4 for children annually), hosts productions by other Slovene theatres, and since 1987 organises the annual “Čufar Days” competition of amateur performances.
In its more than 50 years of activity, Tone Čufar Theatre has staged over 230 drama works by Slovene and international authors (mainly lighter genres and comedies), nearly 50 shows for children and the young, 47 operettas, and an opera. The theatre has hosted productions by other Slovene theatres, such as Slovene National Theatre Drama Ljubljana, Slovene National Theatre Maribor, Ljubljana City Theatre (MGL), etc.
The Sora Cinema, Škofja Loka was established in 1975. From Thursday to Sunday it screens a programme of quality first-run and art films. The cinema is a member of the Artkino mreža (Art Cinema Network), which distributes mostly selected quality independent and art films around Slovenia.
The venue is situated in the recently renovated Sokolski dom and the Sora Cinema company has been acting as its manager.
MMC Pulsar Multimedia Centre offers free Internet access and ICT equipment for educational purposes and non-profit multimeda and design projects. It also offers two computer workstations for more demanding video and music production. It also incorporates a small gallery space where exhibitions of photography and visual arts are organised.
Based at its own venue, Loški oder Theatre is an ensemble of 12 amateur actors which presents new plays in repertory every year, primarily comedies or children plays. Apart from the repertory programme the Loški oder venue also hosts some performances by other Slovene theatre companies.
In the 12th century on the hills above Škofja Loka stood three fortifications: the Upper Tower on Krancelj; the Lower Fort (nider vest); and the Loka Castle, a residence of Freising Bishops, built at the brink of a natural terrace. The castle is first mentioned in 1202 as castrum firmissimum, although today’s building dates from the 16th century. The castle was rebuilt in 1691 after an earthquake and in 1716.
The castle was administered by Loka chiefs, among them Lambergs, Thurms, and Rasps. Since 1890 the castle has been managed by the Ursulines, who pulled down the Romanesque yard tower and transformed it into a school. Since 1959 it has hosted the Loka Museum.
The circular castle dominates above Škofja Loka town and presents the conclusion of the town walls. It can be dated after the earthquake in 1511, although some parts are older, which was confirmed during the renovation works in 2006–2008. The north-eastern tower, the oldest in the structure, is built on an older predecessor from the 10th century. Together with the renovation work the reconstruction of the primary entrance with a wooden drawbridge was also carried out.
Reopened in 1996 after conversion from a cinema into a multipurpose venue, the 280-seat Linhart Hall is named after celebrated Slovene dramatist and historian Anton Tomaž Linhart (1756–1795), who was born in Radovljica.
It offers annual subscription series for theatre, puppetry and film. Each season, six stage performances featuring mainstream and independent Slovene theatre houses are offered on Monday nights. The children’s programme on Fridays is also popular.
The film programme covers all of the significant art and first-run films of the season. The Linhart Hall is a member of the Art Cinema Network, that distributes selected art films around Slovenia.
Exhibitions take place in the entrance lobby. The office of the local tourist organisation is also located in the building.
Linhart Hall issues the newsletter Deželne novice and various other publications.
The Kos Manor House, built around 1521 by Dietrichstein lords, is one of four so-called “ironworks” manor houses erected in the 16th and early 17th century by the owners of ironworks in Sava, Plavž, Murova, and Javornik. It houses a recent history exhibition of Jesenice and has been managed by Upper Sava Valley Museum, Jesenice since 1984.
The house was later named after one of its owners, merchant Frančišek Pavel Kos from Jesenice, who enlarged and renovated it in the neoclassical style in 1821. It was later purchased by the Ruards, ironworks owners and industrialists, and after 1872 by the KID (Kranjska Industrial Society) to provide housing for its executives. Ten years later the manor, its outbuilding, and its garden were purchased by the Municipality of Jesenice and the building was used as a primary school for 30 years. Before the Second World War the house became a court and prison and during the occupation the Germans used it as a transition prison.
Following the renovation of the building in 1985, today’s three-storey building houses a permanent exhibition of recent history, a reconstruction of a Gestapo prison, a gallery for temporary exhibitions on the ground floor, a multi-purpose room for cultural events and a wedding hall on the second floor. The Jože Bedič’s Geological and Paleontological Collection is also on display.
Following World War II there were two cinemas in Kranj – Kino Kranj (a private enterprise of Valentin Hvala) and Kino Stražišče (rented by Mirko Cegnar). Both halls were nationalised and managed after 1948 by Kinopodjetje Kranj, which also opened the Partizan, one of the most beautiful open air cinemas in Slovenia. Today’s Kranj cinema hall was opened in 1961. It has 472 seats and was in its day the best equipped hall in Slovenia. Kranj Cinema Centre became part of the Kolosej Cinemas group in April 2006.
Jesenice Municipal Library was established in 1954, though the roots of librarianship in this region reach back to the 19th century. It constitutes one of the most important information and cultural centres of the region, running eight branches in Jesenice, Hrušica, Javornik-Koroška Bela, Kranjska Gora, Dovje-Mojstrana, Rateče, Gozd-Martuljek, and Žirovnica.
The library collection holds 167.150 items. The library preserves and maintains a local collection department, as well as runs the digital portal Jlib featuring various digitalised local content and publications. The reading room provides users with a wide array of newspapers and magazines, while the media department offers a selection of DVDs, audio CDs, and audiobooks.
It hosts weekly storytelling hours, literary evenings, exhibitions, lectures, and other educational activities including English and German communication hours, workshops, computer courses, and Internet browsing presentations for youth and adults.