Libraries

Capuchin Monastery Library Krško

Krško

CONTACTS


Knjižnica kapucinskega samostana Krško

Cesta krških žrtev 26 8270, Krško

Visit website

The Capuchin Monastery Library, Krško is one of the few old libraries that has remained in situ until today. Before the Second World War there were more than 4,000 units kept in the library collections, out of which some 1,500 units have been preserved. The library was formed soon after the establishment of the Capuchin Monastery in Krško 1640.

Background

In 1640 a monastery was built for Capuchin monks in Krško, a region with a strong Protestant tradition, in order to strengthen Catholicism. Subsequently the monks acquired a great deal of literature to support their preaching activities, including dogmatic and philosophical works, Latin and German Bibles with commentaries, breviaries, preaching books, and commentaries. During the Second World War Germans destroyed much of the library’s holdings; surviving books came into the custody of local people, who returned the books to the convent after the war. In 1986 the 300-year-old Baroque library of the Capuchin Monastery was opened to the public. It presents a good example of historical bibliographical method preservation; most books are in Latin, German, and Italian, but a few are in Slovenian.

Collections

The Capuchin Library in Krško contains around 1,500 units dating from the 17th century, bound using a method typical of the Capuchin or Franciscan order with the owner’s sign (signature) and still arranged in the alphabetical, field, and format order prescribed by the catalogue of 1695 (Folios 4, 8, 12). The most precious items are Janez Svetokriški’s Sacrum Promptuarium, Father Rogerius’s Palmarium Empyreum and Schönleben’s Carniola Antiqua et Nova. The library also preserves some early Ljubljana prints from the 18th century. As the Capuchin monks engaged in education and medicine, the library also contains several old books on medicine and pharmacy. Some of the library’s incunabula are stored at the National and University Library (NUK) in Ljubljana, including Dalmatin’s Bible and Valvasor’s The Glory of the Duchy of Carniola.

Monuments and Sites

Kostanjevica Monastery

Kostanjevica na Krki

CONTACTS


Samostan Kostanjevica na Krki

Grajska cesta 45 8311, Kostanjevica na Krki

Visit website

The Cistercian Monastery Kostanjevica na Krki was built on a marshy plain near the Krka River in 1234. The Spring of St Mary Monastery (Fons sanctae Mariae), whose parish was in Carinthian Vetrinje, was grounded by Carinthian Duke Bernard Spanheim and his wife Juta and should not be mistaken for the Franciscan monastery Kostanjevica in Nova Gorica. It is known for having the most extensive arcades in Slovenia.

It houses the Božidar Jakac Art Museum and the Forma Viva Open Air Wood Sculpture Collection in a adjacent park. The monastery Gothic church is considered to be one of the top ranking exhibition venues in Slovenia in terms of the intriguing task – to conceive a site-specific project of contemporary, traditional and pre-historic art. The whole complex (monastery, Palaeolithic archaeological site, park with Forma Viva) is declared a cultural monument of state importance.

History

Initially the monastery was built as a three-nave church with a transversal nave and a flat-ended choir area (Bernadine ground plan). During the 15th century a bell tower was added to the church and the naves were shortened on the west side, supposedly due to the difficulties connected with the bearing capacity of the terrain.

During the 17th and 18th centuries the entrance was remodelled, the choir loft was extended and the naves were re-vaulted. Construction of the monastery buildings began in the late 14th century; a hall was added in the 16th century and residential wings with arcades in the 18th century.

After the abolition of the monasteries in 1786 by the Emperor Joseph II, the altars and other church fittings were taken away or sold. Thereafter the monastery buildings fell into decay, and were finally burnt down in 1942. Renovation commenced in 1958 and by 1971 the church had been reconstructed by the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia.

Premises

The Baroque monastery, which includes some older Cistercian elements and the early Gothic church, no longer operates as a monastery but is devoted purely to secular activities. The oldest part of the monastery complex is the Church of St Mary along with the remaining foundations of the former ground floor of the cloister. The ground floor plan accommodates the general plan of Bernard that is a three nave church with a crossing nave and two pairs of chapels alongside the square choir. The church distinguished the arch system and a very rich early Gothic capital work of piers and engaged pillars. Nowadays it is considered also one of the most prominent visual arts exhibition venues.

The arcade courtyard is not only one of the biggest in Slovenia, but also in Central Europe. The rich church fittings were completely sold after 1820, and murals from the first third of the 16th century were destroyed.

The mural of Maria’s Assumption on the western façade and The Saving of the Monastery from the Uskok Invasion in 1736, painted on the small wall between the defending towers, are the art work by the painter Franc Jelovšek (1700–1764) painted between 1740 and 1742.

Exhibitions

A lapidary collection of medieval masonry fragments such as a keystone with stylised palmettes, a robust cup-shaped capital, a figural capital, a little fragment with a preserved mason’s mark and a remnant of a Gothic painting on part of a vault’s rib is on display.

The Božidar Jakac Art Museum was opened here in 1974, focused initially on the artistic legacy of local painter Jože Gorjup, works donated by Tone Kralj, and graphic art by Božidar Jakac. Permanent collections represent Slovene artists of the 20th century, including France Kralj, France Gorše, Zoran Didek, Janez Boljka, and Bogdan Borčić. In the upper part of the monastery’s southern wing is an important collection of 44 oil paintings by French, Flemish, Italian and German old masters opened in Kostanjevica in 1977 which are owned by the nearby Pleterje Charterhouse Monastery.

A selection of wooden sculptures by artists of several nationalities has been displayed in the grounds of the monastery since the first of the Forma Viva workshops in 1961 and all the subsequent creative gathering held over the years.

Youth Centres

Krško Youth Centre

Krško

CONTACTS


Mladinski center Krško (MC Krško)

Cesta krških žrtev 105 8270, Krško

Visit website

Krško Youth Centre opened in September 2003. It encourages and develops cultural and educational programmes paying special attention to voluntary youth work, active participation of young people. The MC Club has become a vibrant venue of concerts of different musical genres, theater and stand-up comedy performances, workshops and lectures. The hostel Krško offers pleasant ambience for creative visitors of all generations; space is adapted for disabled people.

Posavje Multimedia Centre (MMC Posavje)

MMC Posavje was a programming unit attached to Krško Youth Centre, that made a part of M3C Multimedia Centres Network of Slovenia. At the time the MMC provided free Internet access and information technology equipment for digital video and audio production, graphic design and software development as a creative resource for members of the public. Several educational and intermedia artistic projects were organised in its numerous facilities: a cyber café with the gallery, a multimedia studio with two music practice rooms, a computer project room and a multimedia multifunctional lecture room.

Troblja portal

The Troblja.info cultural portal has been operated by MMC Posavje since 2003 in order to announce the latest creative happenings in the Posavje region. It is one of the sources for the Kulturnik.si aggregated database of cultural events.